Monday, April 4, 2016

April - Online Testing

          I am still out on maternity leave, but have this scheduled to appear for me.  If you have not tried Flubaroo and Google Forms, may I just say it is EVEN BETTER than before.  If you have not read my blog from a couple years ago, I'm going to rehash a couple components of the ease of Google Forms and Flubaroo, but then I'm going to talk about the "Grade by Hand" function.

         Google Forms allows you to create a survey for students I have created them for Parent Surveys to see how weekly e-mails went, student evaluations for projects, student surveys for potential topics and their feelings on them, and then lastly for quizzes and tests.  This year I have the opportunity to borrow a Chromebook cart occassionally from the library and since I will be out on maternity leave have digitized all my quizzes and tests.  This allows me to grade things instantly OR in much less time as the tests still have a document based question for students to answer to grade by hand.  

        The nice new factor of Google Forms is that you can look at results as a whole (with bar and pie charts) or you can look at individual responses.  I can track my student users (through their school e-mail account).  I can also stop taking responses after a quiz is over.  When it comes to retakes I can, with a few clicks of a button, go from allowing them to submit one response to submitting a second, and then lock it back down for future use again. 

        Quizzes I simply choose "Short Answer" and then give the students a word bank.  They then type in the letter of their choice.  For tests my multiple choice questions are multiple choice on the screen, but I have set it to mix answer choices and shuffle the questions as well.  This is to help try and limit any cheating that might be tempting in the room.  For the matching portion of the test I simply put an "M - " followed by the definition/description of the item and again I hand out an answer sheet that has their choices.  

Examples of Forms:
Parent Survey
Professional Development Topics Survey
For and Against Survey

        FLUBAROO was already my love.  It showed me the most missed questions, even in the past two years when I manually would type in my students responses myself for quizzes, it was still totally worth it.  NOW, my love for Flubaroo has grown even more.  First, you enable flubaroo as an add-on on your google sheet (the responses from your google form all nice and neatly in columns).  BEFORE I give the assessment to students I take it myself.  That way my response is always the first one at the top of the list to choose from.  After running Flubaroo, it will show the individual amount students got right (point system), the percentage (percentage system) as well as the individual questions for each student going across.  0 = missed it; 1= got it, the orange columns are the most missed questions.  
         The "Grade By Hand" function came out in the fall, but I was nervous about trying to use it.  I must admit had it not been for this maternity leave I probably would not have tried it.  But my substitute asked for something quick that would allow her to grade and give students their results back as quickly as possible.  So I started running a test run of the new system and I must say I've been wasting my time and should have gone to this last semester. 

Here are the reasons I LOVE "Grade by Hand":
1) I set the value of the question - I don't want my Document Based Question to be 1 point, it comes out of 5 points.
2) No more trying to differentiate what the hand writing actually says for some of my students with poor writing - it is a typed response
3) Provides me with each student response and individual student and I can write them messages back if I choose, as well as award them points.

Those three things make it so much FASTER to grade tests than I ever have in the past.  The students thus get their test results back even faster as well.  I used to have a turn around of one - two days in grading their tests and then posting them online for them to access them.  Mind you, this was with a one year old running around the house and trying to grade until 10 o'clock at night.  With the use of Flubaroo and having the students take their test online I am typically done and graded AND in the gradebook by 4:00 that same day.  The percentage of the students grade automatically adjusts as I enter their point value for their individual responses.  You can also have multiple questions for the students to answer and click between them and grade them all with great ease.  

If you have never seen Flubaroo before I'm including a little video for it:
Flubaroo Video  
Or if you have questions you can go to Flubaroo.com which has the overview and you can search for step by step directions for how to do things if you need assistance.


On a side note: Completely unrelated to online testing, but ties in with being an assessment.  My binder checks for YEARS I have typed in excel to make my charts and then printed them and done the math by hand and taken hours to do this.  I have since this semester added formulas to my excel charts and simply type in the point values as I check the binders.... My world has simplified and I can tell students what they earned as soon as I'm done checking their binder instead of them having to wait until the next day because at that point I've actually sat down with a calculator and done the math and double checked the math.  Just something additional to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment